In this post I compare the Thermomix® TM5 to the TM6. If you have a TM31 model, then click here to read that comparison.
Do you remember what was the main reason you wanted to buy your Thermomix® TM5?
I haven’t owned a TM5. I went straight from the TM31 to the Thermomix® TM6. However I remember my key reason for buying way back in 2009, was about taking away the nightly stress around cooking dinner after a long day at work. I knew it would save me time and help me enjoy cooking again, and it did both very quickly.
Over time I learned more and made so many things that I would never have considered trying before. It really did provide that confidence in the kitchen.
Now with the TM6, my experience is all that and more. Being connected to Cookidoo® and using guided cooking really is a game changer. So much so, that I really do try to use Cookidoo® recipes as much as I can.
I had thought about upgrading for a while and really wonder why did it take me so long!
Compare the Thermomix® TM5 and TM6
The key differences between the Thermomix® TM6 and the TM5 are:
- The TM6 is a connected machine, using wifi to fully integrate Cookidoo®
- Guided Cooking really makes a big difference to your everyday cooking – making the process quicker and also you can be sure of never missing a step
- The increased highest temperature, now 160 degrees, means you can do high heat cooking and work with sugar. You can now stir fry your meat and vegetables, make incredible caramel, honeycomb, and more. See my caramelised onions here.
- The addition of the many modes on the TM6 makes everyday cooking simpler. Plus more get added via software updates. You can access egg boiler mode, rice cooker mode, pre-clean, warm up, fermentation, slow cook, Sous Vide, peeler, and many more.
The table below outlines the key differences between the current Thermomix® TM6 and the Thermomix® TM5.
When viewing on a mobile phone, you may need to turn your screen to landscape orientation to see all columns easily.
|Feature||Thermomix® TM5||Thermomix® TM6|
|Guided Cooking||Cook-Key® required||WiFi Connection|
|Cookidoo® 3.0||Not integrated||Fully integrated|
|Customised Modes||Limited||14 modes|
|Blade Cover & Peeler||Supported||Supported|
|Customised Sounds||Cook-Key® required||Supported|
|Mixing Bowl Size||2.2 Litres||2.2 Litres|
|Varoma Size||3.3 Litres||3.3 Litres|
|Bowl Lid||Auto locking arms||Auto locking arms|
|Screen Size||8.9cm x 12.7cm||15.2cm x 20.3cm|
Maximum weight 3kg
Maximum weight 3kg
|Maximum Temperature||120 degrees||160 degrees|
|Maximum Cooking Time||Unlimited||Unlimited|
Guided Cooking and Cookidoo®
Cookidoo® is an online recipe platform that includes over 80,000 recipes for the Thermomix®.
By connecting your Thermomix® TM6 to Cookidoo® , you can use guided cooking to take you through recipes step-by-step.
You do still have the option to use the manual mode, where you select the time, temperature and speed for each step in your cooking. Using Cookidoo®, these settings are already programmed into the recipe and all you need to do is follow the instructions on the screen as you add ingredients.
Importantly, even with Guided Cooking, you can still change the settings as you go if you want to make some modifications.
The short videos below introduce you to guided cooking on the Thermomix® TM6, and give you an introduction to Cookidoo®. It really is as easy as it looks.
Should I upgrade to the Thermomix® TM6?
Well, only you can decide if now is the right time to upgrade.
I upgraded from the TM31 straight to the TM6 and certainly don’t regret it. I used my Thermomix® TM31 for 12 years before upgrading in 2021. The change in models has been really easy, while at the same time having so many new things to explore. I was already using Cookidoo® for recipe ideas, and then cooking manually with the TM31.
The key changes when upgrading from the TM5 are:
- Guided Cooking is an incredible feature. It makes everything so much quicker.
- The high temp mode is incredible. It is even used in risotto and makes the already amazing risotto even better.
- The fermentation mode makes yoghurt making even easier. Just leave your yoghurt overnight and it is perfect when you get up.
- I also love the Warm Up mode for reheating. An easier process and better result than using the microwave, and you can walk away and come back when it is perfect.
To learn more about the TM6 model:
Click here to head to the About the Thermomix® TM6 page.
Click here to visit the ThermoJo YouTube Channel.
Don’t forget, that you do not need to host or attend a demo to purchase a Thermomix®.
Click here to read all about purchasing without a demo.