What is a Thermomix®?
You may have heard people talk about how incredible the Thermomix® TM6 is and how it saves them so much time in the kitchen. But do you really know what it can do?
A Thermomix® is a smart, connected all-in-one kitchen appliance. The current model is the Thermomix® TM6. The Thermomix® TM6 has a powerful motor, many modes and so much variety in what it can do. So in this post I will explain all of that for you.
After you read this post, you may also want to read FAQ – Should I buy a Thermomix®? Will I use it enough?
What can the Thermomix® TM6 do?
The image above highlights the functions of the Thermomix® TM6, which are:
- Sous Vide
- Slow Cook
- Rice Cooker
- Egg Boiler
- Warm Up
- Peel (added since the image was created)
- Slice and Grate (TM Cutter launched early 2023)
Not only that, it can also clean itself using the Pre-Clean mode.
The Thermomix® TM6 accessibility features for people with disability
Many of the functions of the Thermomix® TM6 that are listed above can help many people every day who otherwise may not be able to complete some cooking tasks. This includes people with disability, chronic illness and some elderly people.
In addition to the core features of the Thermomix®, two optional accessories have been introduced that very clearly help many people with specific cooking tasks.
- The Thermomix® Blade Cover and Peeler is fantastic. I use this every time I need to peel some potatoes or other vegetables. It is super easy and lets me get on with other parts of the meal preparation.
- The Thermomix® Cutter (launched in early 2023) and new modes Grating and Slicing are a great time saving add on to the Thermomix®. Now you can grate and slice everything – getting a consistent result as well as saving time with meal prep.
What appliances can I do without if I have a Thermomix® TM6?
The Thermomix® TM6 really can replace all of these small appliances:
- Stick mixer
- Food processor
- Coffee grinder
- Rice cooker
- Slow cooker
- Digital scales
- Electric whisk
- Sous vide machine
- Yoghurt maker
- Ice crusher (the best margaritas and frozen drinks)
- … and more!
The best things about the Thermomix® TM6
Cook from another room with your Thermomix® TM6
I was the owner of a Thermomix® TM31 for 12 years before I upgraded to the Thermomix® TM6 in 2021.
Over all those years, for me the best part of owning a Thermomix® has been the fact that it can cook and stir without you being nearby. No more using the stove top and needing to hover in case something boils over, or stir constantly to cook evenly. Basically you have a few minutes prep and do other things while it cooks. This is even better with the TM6 now as it has a high heat mode, which means it can stir fry your meat and vegetables. Amazing!
Cooking new things in the Thermomix® TM6
The second thing that I have always loved, is that I have become so much more adventurous in my cooking and have made so many things that I otherwise wouldn’t have bothered with. For example, I now make:
- Hollandaise and other sauces
- Risotto is an everyday type meal (no more stirring!)
- Curry pastes and curries
- Spice blends
- Steamed puddings
- Bliss balls
- … and so much more
This willingness to try anything comes from knowing that the Thermomix® can do so much, and also that the time needed for prep is often very minimal.
In the old days (2009!) when I got my Thermomix® TM31, you tended to cook most things from the Everyday Cookbook that came with it, and then occasionally search online for other recipes. Over time, more and more blogs and forums popped up.
Now, you have the Thermomix® recipe database – Cookidoo®, that has over 80,000 recipes globally, with over 3000 Australian recipes, and over 10,000 in English (at time of writing).
Cookidoo® connects via wifi to your Thermomix® TM6, so your chosen recipes are on the screen ready to follow step by step. It really couldn’t be easier – and I go out of my way now to find a Cookidoo® recipe for what I want to cook. Cookidoo®, along with Guided Cooking, really is one of my favourite things.
You also have the option to edit the Cookidoo® recipes and save your own version. This is brilliant for recipes you make often and always adapt to your own tastes.
As much as I love guided cooking, you can still cook with the Thermomix TM6 using the manual controls, and I do often still do this – particularly when making a dish that I have in a cookbook or if just doing something quick with one or two steps. I have been known to use manual mode to cook sweet potato mash and completely forgotten to set the temperature though. Yes, I am pretty used to guided cooking now!
Want to know more about the Thermomix® TM6
There are a few ways I can help you learn more about the Thermomix® TM6:
- Please comment below with your question
- You may also like to read this post: FAQ – Should I buy a Thermomix®? Will I use it enough?
- Grab my free video series where I answer the most common questions about the Thermomix® TM6
- Get in touch if you would like to know more about the Thermomix® TM6. I am more than happy to answer your questions
- Book a time with me to see the Thermomix® in action.
- The blog is growing, so please search through to find information to help you.
- Contact me to ask all your questions about the Thermomix® TM6
Finally, you are wanting to purchase a Thermomix® TM6 (in Australia), click here to do that now. Or click here to read about the buying process and payment options.
If you do decide to buy your Thermomix® TM6 through me, then you will receive free access to the ThermoJo 30 Day Kickstart video training for Thermomix® and Cookidoo® – where I show you everything you need to know to get started and learn to love your new Thermomix®.